My office is filled with injured athletes and with each passing year, the athletes are younger than previous years. The fact is that Tommy John injuries are becoming more and more frequent in the young athlete, which has lead my team and I to dedicate and focus our research.
- Are more pitchers actually hurting their elbows?
- Are the sports physicians and athletic trainers simply getting better at diagnosing injuries?
- Are pitchers more open about admitting their injuries?
- And the biggest question of them all: Are teams and parents just pushing for surgery?
- What are the risk factors for injury?
- How can Tommy John Injury be avoided?
The answers to these questions are not as concrete as we would like. What we do know is that we have a Tommy John Injury crises and we are trying to solve it.